Good afternoon friends of Illumination!
I am so very proud of everyone’s efforts with our latest show, “Salty, Sour, Sweet…C’est Tres Magnfique!” It was a fun night! As our cast and crew enter into the summer season, would you pray that they dedicate themselves to some rest and respite from weekly school and theater meetings/responsibilities, but that they will remain diligent in the development of their hearts and minds through other means?
Regarding where Illumination is and where it is going:
1) We will be holding AUDITIONS for the 2015/2016 season before summer’s end. The actual dates are still to be determined. We had many artists at our recent show express an interest in becoming a part of what Illumination is doing in the community through the performance arts. If you know of anyone that would be interested in joining in us, please have them to email me at email@example.com.
2) Our community partner from our recent show, CHRISTIAN FAMILY LIFE, was extremely pleased with the show. I spoke to their president this afternoon. All in attendance at the show from his organization LOVED the performances. He wants to talk to us about some “encore” performances selected from the show and performed at his donors appreciation event scheduled for this September in the facilities of JD Gibbs Racing.
3) Christian Drake, the CFO of SOUTHERN EVANGELICAL SEMINARY, was so pleased with “Salty, Sour, Sweet” that he has offered the use of Southern Evangelical facilities to Illumination anytime. He and his wife were impressed with the execution of our vision and with the professionalism of our crew. This is big news. Not solely for facility use…but because we were able to imprint and inspire the mind of a leader.
4) We may already have a VENUE FOR OUR CHRISTMAS SHOW. I heard back from a large church in the Lake Norman area and they have two calendar possibilities for us. Pray over this matter. It would be HUGE for us to start a season and a show with a secured venue and performance date.
5) I am currently in the throws of some serious soul searching regarding the future of Illumination. My spirit is heavy to see it move beyond where it is now in regard to exclusively producing and presenting musical variety shows. I’m leaning towards asking for all cast and crew to commit to a big step of faith in the direction towards a fully staged/produced musical. Doing this would more completely align with my passion, talents, skills, and calling.
That being said, Illumination has successfully produced four “variety shows” since our launch as an organization in 2013. I am very proud of each of them. Everyone involved accomplished and overcame much in order to see these shows matured and presented to the community. Before I launched Illumination with Davis and Rachael Carman, I was just days away from working towards the establishment of an organization I was going to call “Arts in Union”. I was still serving a church in Monroe and was feeling led to pursue the establishment of a theologically grounded performance arts organization within that community. Instead, God directed me towards a meeting with Davis and Rachael one afternoon in Monroe and, shortly after that, He led me back to Charlotte from Union County. Illumination was formed prior to, during, and after that transition.
I know that Illumination will still produce and present “variety shows” from time to time. They have their value and I enjoy the challenge of taking a variety of songs, ideas, and other creative elements and stringing them together into a common narrative. But I want to get back to my vision’s initial appetite and roots.
Earlier this year, I found a script that I really like and that resonates within my spirit. To produce it would require, as I mentioned, a large step of faith. But all of our shows to date have been shoed with faith.
We’ll need a larger cast, a larger crew, a larger venue, a larger budget, and a full year to prepare it.
Would you join me in pray about this? Also, feel free to let me know your thoughts on this or any of the above. The cast and crew exist to serve you, our local community. We love to hear back from you.
Pursuing measurable good while attempting to be salt and light,